Search This Blog

Saturday 4 March 2023

Napoleonic Austrian – 15mm- Shako II

 

This Austrian army, wargame wise is based around 1809, with combinations of helmet and shako, mainly as these are what I had collected over the years at Bring & Buys, etc, so a lot of various manufacturers from Mini-Figs series 2 (even maybe series 1 in there somewhere)Battle Honours, Fantassin, Old Glory AB Figures and others, I am sure.

Although I had acquired quite a lead pile of Austrians, I never needed to paint them as my Pal Harry always supplied them when I lived in London. So when I moved to Wales the stash was looked at for painting. Also the majority of scenario books from Michael Hopper involved mainly Austrians against Napoleon.

So, in July 2021 I took stock of what I had in the way of Austrians. With approximately 1000 Infantry, 100 Cavalry, 10 guns & crews, and about 30 Commanders, I made a start. I did have some already painted, but the forty five or so years had not been kind to them, so they needed a revamp. The army was finished in March 2022. Since then I have finished a few units that were missing a couple of figures, but as of today the Austrians now have:

27 (24 man) Line Infantry Battalions, 5 (18 man) Grenadier Battalions, 1 (18 man) Jaeger Battalion, 5 (24 man) Grenzer Battalions, 5 (20 man) Militia Battalions, 14 Cavalry Regiments, 7 Guns, 4 Limbers and about 40 various Officers. The four base Battalions are for the larger formations adopted by the Austrians and in the rules can take an extra kill before breaking. I have some left overs and will see what units they might make, possibly more Skirmish stands or some more Militia maybe.

You Tube video here> (2) 15mm Austrian Napoleonic Army (Shako II) - YouTube

DSC02664

Grenzers    2nd Rate as formed, best used as Skirmishers                                                                        
DSC02668 
Hungarian Line Infantry
 DSC02665

Line Infantry                                                                    
DSC02666 
Line Infantry & Militia
DSC02667

Light Cavalry                                                                     
DSC02674 
Chevaux-Leger
 DSC02675

Dragoons & Kuirassiers
DSC02676

Skirmishers                                                                      
DSC02670 
Artillery
 DSC02671

Sappers                                                                            
DSC02672

Grenadiers
DSC02669
                                            
Commanders                                                                       
DSC02677 
 CiC plus ADCs
DSC02678

4 comments:

  1. Amazing work Phil. Always excited to see your content and inspires me to continue in this hobby and follow in your footsteps and shadow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David, you're too kind. Comments like this inspire me too.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful! Austrians are my favourite Napoleonic period army, too>

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I have started to use them more (I normally play French) and find they can be quite resilient with the Battalion Masse!

      Delete