Search This Blog

Tuesday 20 October 2020

15mm Roman vs Late Successor - Sword & Spear Rules

The might of Rome take on Late Successor to find out which was better, the Pike or the Pilum. 

Two Heavy foot armies go sandal to sandal to slug it out. This was a prep game for a big 1500 point per side, game that was taken to a few shows on the circuit.

 The Roman army is from a friends collection and the Successor is from my own collection, with various manufacturers figures, collected over many years of Bring & Buys! 

 600 points per side. Dicing for the terrain was rather interesting. The Roman won Scouting so Successor deployed first. 

 TURN 1: 

DSC00367_zps1rpryyu5 

My Light horse were facing the wrong way DSC00370_zpszjb3xcvr 

The Roman Heavy Cavalry.

DSC00368_zpsjgovyegb 

The bolt thrower 

DSC00369_zpsr9m9ebsj 

 The pikes of the successor plod forward 

 DSC00371_zpsmfcs3wke 

 

 

I had a Captain with the wrong unit. Cannot influence Elephants 

DSC00372_zpswovff5s8 

End of turn 1 

DSC00373_zpsxvqxbauy 

TURN2: I, as the Successor player, played aggressive and got my pikes forward ASAP, as we had not seen a proper Heavy Infantry clash. I used group movement twice and both times used bonus dice for extra movement. 

DSC00375_zpsjc7ggdln DSC00376_zpspbhl10zm 

TURN 3: As you see the dice (should) have helped my cause as the Roman player Deferred his dice! DSC00378_zpseqqoirln 

After the first clash. The cataphract are hit in the flank! The skulls are kills 

DSC00379_zpsjrtiwc6u 

There were a couple of Cavalry skirmishes and shooting 

 DSC00380_zpstxgruivl 

 Casualties of turn 3 Successor 

DSC00381_zps4clnaewy 

 

Roman 

DSC00382_zps2pntruyb 

 Turn 4: Successor loses the cataphract in the center. 

DSC00384_zpswexqgw8g 

And my last unit of Companions is about get it from all sides DSC00385_zpsllnmiicr 

End of turn 4

DSC00386_zpsi2ximruh 

End of turn 4 Casualties, My combat dice were atrocious Successor

DSC00387_zpsvbjfztb6 

 Roman

DSC00388_zpsmypywklr 

TURN 5: Roman allocation dice. You know when it's not your day! 

 DSC00390_zpspnvdgjp2 

 And my 3 allocation dice were all 1s.........Oh Dear Bye, bye Pikes DSC00393_zpseabppbyu 

 End of turn 5

 DSC00392_zpsbhrfgdqe 

 End of turn 5 casualties Successor

 DSC00391_zpsjss4qpgj 

Romans lost no units this turn due my terrible dice rolling again. we finish there as I took an amry test (over 1/3rd in army points lost), and virtually every one of my units except two, took a casualty from failing discipline test. Even though I lost, I thoroughly enjoyed the game.

2 comments:

  1. Looks a fantastic battle and just the kind of thing I love sword and spear for - as a lover of the successors I’ve been refighting pike and pilum battles for the last few years with varying success .. thanks for posting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave

      I have just obtained a huge pike army of at a guess 2000 - 2500 points. Need to point it up.

      Delete