Sunday, 3 June 2012

Italian Tankettes

I needed to upgrade My WWII Italian force with 13/40 & 14/41 (pretty much the same tank with a more powerful engine). I also got some of SHQ's most excellent CV tankettes, as My original ones were not good resin casts. I will start with the CVs. They come with instructions but here is how I did it.

                                                          Here is what I bought
Photobucket

First check all the bits are there (Flame tankette)
Photobucket

CV33 Tankette
Photobucket

Wash in warm soapy water
Photobucket

Dab with old cloth, then let dry naturally for a couple of hours. Recheck parts.
Photobucket

Place all small parts in a box out of the way of your working area (just in case!!!)
These are the MGs for My 14/41, but you get the idea. Clean off any swarf from the vehicle.
Photobucket

Use a good quality super glue and make sure one part is glued to the model before gluing the next part on. A production line helps (three vehicles at a time is the norm with me).
Find the location points and "dry fit" parts to check they do not need trimming.
Photobucket

Fitting wheels of the flame tankette trailer, whilst tracks dry.
Photobucket

Tracks fitted and trailer wheels on.
Photobucket

           Small parts (mention earlier), spare wheels need careful cutting from the block. see drill tip
Photobucket

This is where it goes (see knife tip), and tankette below (already fitted)
Photobucket

Left over parts (these are used in the command variant, aerial mounts)
Photobucket

Now with MGs and flame nozzle fitted
Photobucket

Jack and trailer coupling fitted (left model) to rear of vehicles. Knife tip shows locating hole.
Photobucket

Different angle, showing jack and trailer coupling. 
Photobucket

All finished and based.
Photobucket

SHQ along side some Frontline resin CVs. Sand has now been added using PVA & water mix (50/50).
Leave sand to dry on base overnight, because if when you paint base before it dries, the pva will just become mixed with the paint and cause the sand to fall off!.
Photobucket

CVs were part of My mass priming session. I prime with Humbrol White enamel
Photobucket

Next phase of painting is to airbrush two coats of Humbrol 63 Sand. Allow to dry between coats. 
Photobucket

Do not be to concerned about coverage as a wash of Brown will be going on next.
Photobucket

Brown wash applied Humbol 186 Brown, thinned down to "taste"
Photobucket
Photobucket

Tracks, exhausts etc, are then painted black (Humbrol 33). 
Photobucket

 Then dry brushed with silver (Humbrol 11)

Photobucket

Then Gloss varnish at places decals are to be applied (leave to Dry). Place decals, then Matt varnish.
Photobucket

Paint base ( I use Dulux Cashmere emulsion, diluted 50/50), then drybrush base white.
Photobucket

Resin ones
Photobucket

SHQ (on Right), Frontline (on Left)
Photobucket

Flametankettes
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment